US Federal Government
The federal government's charge is like no other
From protecting public health to building and sustaining a mission critical workforce to ensuring retirement security for millions of Americans, agencies require a trusted partner to keep the federal government at the forefront of transformation. Mercer is that partner.
Mercer supports more than 30,000 clients globally across federal and state governments, inter-governmental organizations and all private sector industries. We solve big challenges for some of the largest organizations in the world: designing cost-effective healthcare and pharmacy programs that drive value-based care; rebuilding employer brand to attract and retain top talent; reskilling and upskilling workforces to fill critical talent gaps; and protecting Americans’ retirement income through prudent pension and investment risk management.
Multi-disciplinary expertise driving deeper insight and greater impact
Our 25,000+ professionals are the following and more:
- Clinical specialists
- Policy experts
- CPAs, PhDs, MBAs
- Labor economists
- Industrial-organizational psychologists
- Data scientists
- Certified Compensation Professionals
- Certified Project Management Professionals (PMPs)
- HR transformation specialists
- Employee engagement experts
Our Federal Portfolio
Mercer Federal Leadership
Next-generation federal healthcare delivery requires a careful and measured strategy that brings commercial innovation to life within the regulatory parameters of government health programs. Mercer works alongside lawmakers, regulators, associations and business groups to provide our clients with industry best practices that are not only feasible, but will also drive the greatest value to providers, beneficiaries and their families.
- High value care strategy/diagnostics
- Healthcare model transformation
- Healthcare legislation (ACA/Medicaid/CHIP)
- Value-based purchasing & payment reform
- COVID-19 health solutions
Mercer maintains the most comprehensive set of data on healthcare programs across the public and private sectors, including data on healthcare claims, carriers, regional market trends, providers, delivery system availability, quality of care and more. We harness this power to develop and implement measurable, data-driven strategies and solutions that blend the right provider and beneficiary experience with meeting client cost objectives.
- Data analytics & visualization
- Data intake & processing
- Data quality
Greater prescription drug utilization, costly specialty medications and increasing consumer expectations are giving way to an uncertain future for public and private sector pharmacy benefit programs. Mercer is a leader in the full continuum of pharmacy offerings. We partner with future-forward pharmacy program frameworks that deliver meaningful clinical, operational and financial outcomes for our clients.
- Program strategy, design and oversight
- Purchasing and reimbursement strategies
- Pharmacy benefit manager procurement and implementation
- Clinical oversight
- Specialty pharmacy solutions
- 340B guidance
Mercer’s 60-plus clinical, medical and behavioral health professionals design practical strategies and interventions that drive high-quality, personalized healthcare at a lower cost. We offer clinical care expertise across a comprehensive spectrum of beneficiary needs.
- Value-based healthcare models
- Network strategy and design
- Clinical best practices and total health management
- Integrated care framework and care coordination/case management
- Specialty and complex care solutions
- Third party administrator (TPA) contract oversight
Our dedicated health actuaries hold specialized designations from both the Society of Actuaries and the American Academy of Actuaries. They partner closely with clients to design, finance, and price and administer healthcare programs for public and private sector clients that meet client budgetand clinical quality goals.
- Plan performance audit
- Financial analysis and cost modeling
- Medical plan premium calculations
- Rate development and risk adjustment
We have moved the needle on clinical quality outcome goals across the public and private sector space for the last 20 years. Mercer uses a rapid-cycle quality improvement methodology that leverages proprietary monitoring tools and real-time evaluations and interventions to deliver quality improvement, accountability, and seamless integration of care for our clients. We advise on performance measure selection and oversight, value-based purchasing strategies, contract evaluations, and other clinical quality activities.
- Program evaluation (clinical, financial, operational)
- Quality measurement
- Regulatory compliance and monitoring
As organizations continue responding to the pandemic and reinventing their operating model, workforce challenges continue to arise. How do you adjust your workforce for future business needs? How do you ensure your employees deliver business results while working safely and staying healthy? Mercer offers a systematic, disciplined process for identifying and addressing gaps between current and projected future workforce requirements.
- Internal and external labor market analysis
- Talent supply/demand gap assessment
- Conjoint analysis
- Business impact modeling
- Diversity, equity and inclusion assessment
Building a modernized Federal workforce requires a rewards program that competes with the private sector and recruits and retains cutting-edge capabilities to deliver on the Federal mission. Mercer is a leading compensation consultant for commercial employers, the public sector, and Federal mission critical industries like cybersecurity.
- Compensation strategy, design, operation, benchmarking
- Total rewards strategy, design, benchmarking
- Job architecture/career framework
- Pay equity
Leading organizations require a predictive view of future skill needs, market supply/demand, and a data-driven approach to total rewards to stay competitive in the war for talent. Mercer offers a broad suite of services that enable organizations to identify, hire, and pay employees for the right skills to support mission critical roles.
- Pay for skills: Our end-to-end Skills-Edge suite includes advisory and digital solutions to enhance your pay program and drive a competitive total rewards program. Our Skills Library, Skills Pricer, and Skills Pay Planner provide up-to-date market insights to help you determine pay levels and understand the skills of your workforce.
- Talent assessment and proctoring: Mercer | Mettl is the largest global talent assessment and development technology provider. Our platform includes advisory and consulting support alongside robust proctoring, assessment, and reporting capabilities with the level of complexity required by the Federal Government.
Federal agencies thrive when they are supported by an integrated strategy that allows for HR to enable the organization and empower its people. Mercer offers a suite of consulting services and tools to help transform federal HR functions, accelerate HR technology implementation and support change management to deliver an exceptional government employee experience.
- HR service model and process design
- HRIT systems deployment and optimization
We help organizations build strategic employee research programs that combine the right methodologies with content and agile technology; uncover employee insights; and deliver integrative analytics and insights to ensure your workforce strategy aligns with your organization mission and business strategy.
- Employee value proposition
- Employee engagement
- Strategic communications and change management
Retirement and Investment Security
The power of Marsh McLennan
Mercer has the full breadth of our parent company, Marsh McLennan (MMC), behind us. Our MMC businesses include:
- Marsh: Insurance broking and risk management
- Guy Carpenter: Advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies
- Oliver Wyman: Business strategy, operations, risk management and transformation
Marsh McLennan’s proven methodologies in people, strategy and risk enhance public sector outcomes nationally and across the world.
Mercer is a contractor on the following contract vehicles:
GSA Multiple Award Schedule
- GSA professional services schedule (PSS)
- SIN 541611
- Schedule #47QRAA21D004A
Agency Procurement Vehicles
- Health Plan Innovation Support (Prime contractor): The HPIS contract supports design, implementation and innovation within TRICARE managed care support contracts and healthcare integration across Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs
- MACPAC Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (Prime contractor): The IDIQ encompasses environmental scans, gathering information from stakeholders, surveys and policy analysis
- VHA Integrated Healthcare Transformation (Sub-contractor): VHA’s IDIQ covers a variety of support services related to health system transformation, operations support and business enabling services