What’s on the minds of not-for-profit investors in what could be one of the most challenging market environments for many years?
What not-for-profit investors are telling us
Actions not-for-profit investors can take
Low expected future returns (59%) and inflation (50%) identified as the top 2 investment challenges for not for profits over the next 3 years.
- Review how the assets in your portfolio are likely to perform in a period of sustained high inflation
- Which asset classes offer protection against inflation
- Consider assets likely to perform well in an environment of rising rates as central banks act to counter inflation
65% of respondents see diversifying away from traditional asset classes as their greatest opportunity over the next three years.
- Decide what you’re trying to achieve and what you need your allocation to private markets to do for your portfolio
- Use experts to identify asset classes, develop a clear commitment plan and ensure appropriate sizing
44% of respondents say their portfolios are more complex today than they were three years ago.
- Consider additional governance models (outsourcing, extension of staff etc) to ensure effective the sourcing, assessment and execution which complement in-house skills
- Regularly review your provider to ensure that they best placed to meet your changing needs
72% of respondents state an intention to increase or significantly increase their exposure to ESG-focused investments over the next 12 months. However 39% believe they have to make compromises on their investment objectives, and, of that group 57% believe they will have to compromise on absolute return.
- Develop a clear policy for all of your organization’s stakeholders covering responsible investing that covers issues such as mission alignment; diversity, equity & inclusion; and climate risk
- If you want to make a positive impact, move beyond exclusions toward thematic or impact strategies with measurable stewardship and engagement outcomes
Before you access this page, please read and accept the terms and legal notices below. You’re about to enter a page intended for sophisticated, institutional investors only.
This content is provided for informational purposes only. The information provided does not constitute, and should not be construed as, an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any securities, or an offer, invitation or solicitation of any specific products or the investment management services of Mercer, or an offer or invitation to enter into any portfolio management mandate with Mercer.
Past performance is not an indication of future performance. If you are not able to accept these terms and conditions, please decline and do not proceed further. We reserve the right to suspend or withdraw access to any page(s) included on this website without notice at any time and Mercer accepts no liability if, for any reason, these pages are unavailable at any time or for any period.