What’s on the minds of not-for-profit investors in what could be one of the most challenging market environments for many years?
What not-for-profit investors are telling us
Actions not-for-profit investors can take
Low expected future returns (59%) and inflation (50%) identified as the top 2 investment challenges for not for profits over the next 3 years.
- Review how the assets in your portfolio are likely to perform in a period of sustained high inflation
- Which asset classes offer protection against inflation
- Consider assets likely to perform well in an environment of rising rates as central banks act to counter inflation
65% of respondents see diversifying away from traditional asset classes as their greatest opportunity over the next three years.
- Decide what you’re trying to achieve and what you need your allocation to private markets to do for your portfolio
- Use experts to identify asset classes, develop a clear commitment plan and ensure appropriate sizing
44% of respondents say their portfolios are more complex today than they were three years ago.
- Consider additional governance models (outsourcing, extension of staff etc) to ensure effective the sourcing, assessment and execution which complement in-house skills
- Regularly review your provider to ensure that they best placed to meet your changing needs
72% of respondents state an intention to increase or significantly increase their exposure to ESG-focused investments over the next 12 months. However 39% believe they have to make compromises on their investment objectives, and, of that group 57% believe they will have to compromise on absolute return.
- Develop a clear policy for all of your organisation’s stakeholders covering responsible investing that covers issues such as mission alignment; diversity, equity & inclusion; and climate risk
- If you want to make a positive impact, move beyond exclusions toward thematic or impact strategies with measurable stewardship and engagement outcomes
Before accessing this website you must read and accept the following terms and legal notices.
You are about to enter a website intended for sophisticated, institutional investors based in Europe. The information contained herein is intended only for investors who are Professional investors or Eligible Counterparties as defined in Markets in Financial Instruments Regulations 2017 (the “MiFID II Regulations”). Any person unable to accept these terms and conditions should not proceed any further.
In Europe, Mercers Outsourced Chief Investment Officer, Delegated Solutions and other Investment Services delivered through Mercer Funds are delivered by Mercer Global Investments Europe Limited (“MGIE”). Mercer Global Investments Europe Limited, trading as Mercer, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Registered Office: Charlotte House, Charlemont Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Registered in Ireland No. 416688.
Information about Mercer strategies and solutions is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute, and should not be construed as, an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any securities, or an offer, invitation or solicitation of any specific products or the investment management services of Mercer, or an offer or invitation to enter into any portfolio management mandate with Mercer. None of the content on Mercer.Com should be considered as advice. No actions should be taken based on this content without first obtaining professional advice. Mercer makes no representation, and it should not be assumed, that past investment performance is an indication of future results. Moreover, wherever there is the potential for profit there is also the possibility of loss. Past performance does not guarantee future results. The value of investments can go down as well as up, so you could get back less than you invest.
Mercer reserves the right to suspend or withdraw access to any page(s) included on this Website without notice at any time and accepts no liability if, for any reason, these pages are unavailable at any time or for any period. The solutions, products and services described in these pages are not available in all jurisdictions.