Bill 51, an Act to improve the flexibility of Québec’s Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP), received assent from the National Assembly on 29 Oct 2020. The act promotes family-work balance and the sharing of family responsibilities between parents, and aligns parental leave measures included in the Québec Act Respecting Labour Standards. Certain measures took effect immediately and others will be phased in.
Effective 29 Oct 2020
- An increased income-related exemption for individuals receiving QPIP benefits, including maternity benefits for which no exemption was previously provided.
- Cessation of paternity, parental or adoption benefits at the end of the second week following the death of a child.
Effective 1 Dec 2020
- Welcome and support benefits for adoptive parents, effective the week the child is placed with one or both of the parents for adoption, or five weeks prior to the child’s arrival if the adoption is taking place outside of Québec. The benefit period and payment amount depend on if it is the basic or special plan.
Effective 1 Jan 2021, for children who are born or placed for adoption on or after 1 Jan 2021
- Additional weeks of benefits will be given to parents who share a minimum number of weeks of parental or adoption benefits. The payment amount will depend on if it is the basic or special plan.
- Additional weeks of parental or adoption benefits will be given to each parent in the event of a multiple birth or adoption. The payment amount will depend on if it is the basic or special plan.
- Increased leave period for taking paternity, parental or adoption benefits (from 52 weeks to 78 weeks).
- Increased maternity benefits (from 18 weeks to 20 weeks).
- Exclusive adoption leave and benefits for each parent. The maximum number of weeks of benefits depends on if it is the basic or special plan.
Effective 1 Jan 2022
- Additional weeks of parental or adoption benefits for births and adoptions where only one parent is recorded. The amount of the increase will depend on if it is the basic or special plan.
- Bill 51, An Act mainly to improve the flexibility of the parental insurance plan in order to promote family-work balance (Québec Parental Insurance Plan, 29 Oct 2020)