Deb Clarke named in FN100 Influential Women 2011
|Equity||336 searches in 2012 totalling US$26.2bn |
|Fixed Income ||192 searches in 2012 totalling US$16.7bn |
|Real Estate ||40 searches in 2012 totalling US$2.0bn |
|Alternatives||208 searches in 2012 totalling US$8.1bn|
In the wake of the global economic crisis, the institutional asset management industry is poised for fundamental change. The needs of institutional investors are global, complex, quickly changing and influenced by market events that call into question tried and tested investment practices.
HOW THE BOUTIQUES CAN HELP YOU
Each boutique, staffed with professionals who have research and consulting capabilities, conducts forward-looking, institutional-quality research of investment management products, and works closely with both internal and external clients on manager structuring and selection projects.
The range of investment management mandates demanded by clients has broadened substantially in recent years, both in mainstream asset classes and with the advent of alternative approaches to investment. In order to provide in-depth, comprehensive product research, the Mercer manager research team has become increasingly specialized in its organisation. The move to boutiques reflects the need to focus on depth of expertise, and Mercer’s desire to remain close to clients, bringing innovations to their attention in a timely fashion and being the ‘first call’ for any manager bringing products to market.
The boutiques are staffed by a range of professionals, including those with an investment management background and others with direct experience with asset management. The increasing complexity involved with structuring investment arrangements, designing bespoke mandates and assessing innovative and niche products (among the many facets of Mercer’s work with clients) points to the value that the boutiques can bring through direct contact and involvement with clients.
THE BENEFITS OF OUR RESEARCH BOUTIQUES
As investment clients grow more sophisticated and the investment market becomes increasingly complex, Mercer provides clients with access to manager
research specialists in client-facing roles.
Access to an increased depth and breadth of manager research, with an increased focus on alternatives.
Enhancement of the client experience, allowing direct access to specialist expertise.
Stay ahead of the curve, particularly in alternative investments. With a boutique research model, Mercer clients are kept informed on a timely basis and are
guided effectively through what can be a complex due diligence process.
MERCER'S COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES
- Mercer’s global manager research effort is a key competitive advantage and has delivered demonstrable value for clients over many years.
- There are 100 staff in Manager Research and 70 investment consultants globally involved in the manager research process, with research locations in Atlanta, Auckland, Birmingham, Boston, Chicago, Dublin, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Leeds, London, Melbourne, Munich, New York, Norwalk, Singapore, St Louis, Sydney, Tokyo and Toronto.
- 776 searches conducted in 2012, placing $53 billion globally.
- Mercer’s Global Investment Management Database (Mercer GIMDTM) tracks over 5,300+ managers and almost 26,000+ investment strategies.
- 4,100+ manager research meetings held in the last year.
- The amount spent on research efforts annually within Mercer Investments is approximately $10 million+.
- Researchers have an average 16 years of experience.
- 72% of researchers have an MBA/CFA or Actuarial qualification.